- About Us
- In the News
- Sign Up
- Contact Us
If you are a student interested in pursuing an internship with a focus on
- communications and media,
- information systems,
- public policy or research,
please contact our office for more information.
Director of Policy and Outreach
Established in 2007, Pittsburgh UNITED strives to advance social and economic justice in the Pittsburgh region by ensuring that working families and low- and moderate-income communities are able to share in the prosperity that is generated by economic growth and development.
As part of the national network The Partnership for Working Families, Pittsburgh UNITED promotes strategies and executes campaigns that will transform the way that economic development impacts the community so that all people will benefit from the growth in Pittsburgh’s new economy. With its allies, Pittsburgh UNITED uses innovative community organizing, research, advocacy, and communications methods to bring about a just local economy.
While Pittsburgh UNITED is involved currently in the leadership and support of multiple campaigns, the organization’s flagship program is the Clean Rivers Campaign. Pittsburgh UNITED launched the Clean Rivers Campaign in fall 2011 to give communities a voice in the region’s largest-ever public works investment. Under a consent decree with the Federal EPA, the county sewer authority, including the 83 municipalities it serves, is required to dramatically reduce sewage overflows into the region’s rivers and streams. The Clean Rivers Campaign works to prioritize green infrastructure solutions – and the benefits that come with them – in the plan to fix our sewer system and protect our water.
The full-time Director of Policy and Outreach will play a key role in forwarding Pittsburgh UNITED’s mission, especially as it relates to the Clean Rivers Campaign.
Title: Director of Policy and Outreach
Reports to: Executive Director
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director of Policy and Outreach leads and coordinates research initiatives and conducts appropriate outreach to partners to support Pittsburgh UNITED’s campaigns. Key responsibilities include:
- Working with the Executive Director, Campaign Director, coalition members and organizational partners to develop campaign strategies and tactics, identify research needs and resources, and support deployment of strategies and tactics
- Conducting and coordinating corporate, financial, public policy and other research
- Producing and sharing policy briefs, policy and research analysis, white papers, presentations, and other materials with coalition members and leaders, community members, and elected officials
- Developing materials for the general public and coalition partners’ use on multiple issues
- Creating policy proposals for use with public and private partners
- Monitoring research, policy development and issues in areas of current and potential organizational interest and providing updates to Pittsburgh UNITED staff and allies
- Providing outreach and support to current and new partners to forward the work of Pittsburgh UNITED
- Developing alliances and ongoing relationships between Pittsburgh UNITED and strategic partners
- Recruiting, training, and supervising interns to complete targeted projects
- Providing support, as needed, for fundraising strategy development and deployment and any other organizational needs for Pittsburgh UNITED or its campaigns
The Research Director will regularly discuss, evaluate and establish work, campaign and research priorities with the Executive Director and Campaign Director.
Qualifications and Skills:
Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to social and economic justice.
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of 5 years of campaign or related experience demonstrating increasing levels of responsibility
- Successful lobbying/advocacy experience, including policy position development
- Strong project management and facilitation experience
- Track record of successful outreach and/or coalition building including work community, religious, and labor organizations
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of team
- PA Drivers License and access to a vehicle (preferred)
The work schedule includes some evening and weekend meetings and events, as necessary. Candidates requiring a 9 to 5 schedule will not be a good fit for this position.
Salary is commensurate with experience, within the budget constraints of this small nonprofit organization. Pittsburgh UNITED offers an excellent benefits package including family health care.
How to Apply:
Send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 8th, 2013.
Pittsburgh UNITED is an affirmative action employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.